This week Brian, John, and Elaine wade through the waist deep swamp of comic book/film lore as we review Captain America: Civil War and the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe. We try to understand some of the subtle nuances of Cap’s new outing such as Baron Zemo’s Rube Goldberg-esque plan for revenge against The Avengers….because reasons. Or why does every location change in the film come complete with giant stylized text? So pick your side in this glorified game of dodgeball with superheroes as we tackle Captain America: Civil War.
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- This is ultimately the sequel to The Avengers that we should have had.
- Deals with complex themes
- Should super powered heroes be under government control?
- The stakes within the film keep getting higher and higher with each scene. Ratcheting up the tension until we get to the reveal that Bucky Barnes killed Tony Stark’s parents.
- Zemo is able to finish what Ultron started- tearing The Avengers apart from the inside.
- MASSIVE TITLE SLATES FOR EACH LOCATION CHANGE!!!
- Seriously do we need a title slate for Cleveland?
- Weird forced relationship between Sharon Carter and Cap. No real chemistry.
- Captain America still has his V Card.
- Zemo’s bizarre Rube Goldberg plan for revenge that relies on way too many things ( like proper timing and reactions) to be successful.
The Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Majority of the movies are fairly formulaic.
- These movies should exist on their own merit AND exist within the overall universe.
- Current Marvel films rely heavily on prior knowledge from other media (comics/tv shows) to understand what is happening in the films.
- These movies also seem more like 2 hour long trailers for the next phase of films without really telling a complete story.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron was a checklist for Infinity War.
- Still no conclusion to the plot thread of whether Red Skull is dead or not.
- Captain America: Civil War is a solid film but suffers from the requirement that the audience have prior knowledge of the previous Marvel Films/Comics.
- Again, Marvel has a villain problem. Zemo is an ok villain but he still is no where near the level of Loki
- Prediction: The 2020 reboot to Spiderman will feature the role of Aunt May played by a giant titty.
Captain America: Civil War (2016)- Trailer
Subscribe / Rate / Review
Subscribe today to never miss an episode. If you like the show or want to leave a comment, please feel free to give us a quick review. We are always looking to improve and add more to the show and your input is definitely appreciated. Also, join our monthly newsletter to get exclusive content and previews of upcoming episodes.
Calling all Indie filmmakers! We Want Your Movies!
As indie filmmakers, we can appreciate the value of a review of your work. Film festivals, distribution companies, sales agents, etc. all look at reviews and press that a film can get when considering picking up a film. If you are interested in submitting your indie film for review, contact us at the links below with a digital screener of your movie and we will do what we can to feature it on a future episode of The Cinema Psychos Show.