School’s back in session which means Summer is wrapping up. So Brian, John, and Elaine take one last look at one of the hallmarks of summer fun; summer camp…specifically, the 1983 Friday the 13th rip off, Sleepaway Camp. Does Sleepaway Camp belong among the Pantheon of Utter Shit or is it just a goofy fun b movie? Grab your sleeping bag, swim shorts, and communal shower flip flops as we dive into this toasted marshmallow of B movie goodness.
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Classic 1980’s Slasher…with a Twist
- This movie, despite being a very obvious Friday the 13th rip off uses the interesting idea of sexuality of the killer as the motivation for the murders.
- The idea of Angela being transgendered was extremely controversial for the time.
- This extra layer of gender confusion and reaction to homosexuality in the 80’s does make this movie stand out among other slashers
B Movie Tropes
- God awful acting….With the exception of Aunt Martha played by Desiree Gould.
- Fantastic practical makeup effects for a low budget film.
- Lots and lots of misdirection of who the killer is.
- Plot is fairly terrible….but not as bad as other slasher films.
- Some really terrible lines of dialogue.
- 2 deaths by speedboat collision
- 1 death by scalding by boiling water
- 1 death by drowning
- 1 death by beehive dropped on head/stung by bees
- 1 death by knife impalment in shower and sliced open
- 4 deaths by being hacked apart in sleeping bag
- 1 death by pillow smothering/ impaled through vagina with hot hair curling iron.
- 1 death by arrow shot through throat
- 1 death by decapitation
- Total Kills-13
- Spawned 4 sequels and a rebooted sequel
- Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers starred Bruce Springsteen’s sister, Pamela Springsteen.
- Part II is more of a goofy murder by numbers film with more focus on elaborate deaths and less on the gender identity issues of the first film.
- Sleepaway Camp is a very fun B movie
- It’s focus on using transgender and homosexual themes in a traditional slasher film make it stand out among a crowded field of Friday the 13th wannabes.
- Stick with the original, stay away from the sequels
Sleepaway Camp (1983)- Trailer
Subscribe / Rate / Review
Subscribe today to never miss an episode. If you like the show or want to leave a comment, please feel free to give us a quick review. We are always looking to improve and add more to the show and your input is definitely appreciated. Also, join our monthly newsletter to get exclusive content and previews of upcoming episodes.
Calling all Indie filmmakers! We Want Your Movies!
As indie filmmakers, we can appreciate the value of a review of your work. Film festivals, distribution companies, sales agents, etc. all look at reviews and press that a film can get when considering picking up a film. If you are interested in submitting your indie film for review, contact us at the links below with a digital screener of your movie and we will do what we can to feature it on a future episode of The Cinema Psychos Show.